84.1 MILLION AMERICANS
1.5 MILLION AMERICANS 20+ YEARS OLD
are diagnosed with diabetes every year
193,000 AMERICANS 19 OR YOUNGER
have type 1 or type 2 diabetes
While those numbers above may be scary, the most concerning number I saw on the American Diabetes Association’s website was 90%. That represents the number of those 84.1 million who do not know they have diabetes!
How is that possible?!
Often diabetes presents with no symptoms. Sometimes it slowly develops over many years with subtle warning signs. There are factors that could put you at greater risk for getting diabetes, and knowing these along with paying attention to symptoms could help you get diagnosed so you can manage blood glucose carefully if necessary.
What are the risk factors?
Children, young adults and those with an immediate relative diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes are in the highest risk category for Type 1 diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes affects a greater population, and there are several more risk factors including but not limited to being over the age of 45, being overweight, sedentary lifestyle, smoking, family history of diabetes, high blood pressure, abnormal triglyceride or HDL levels, etc.
For more information on the process of diagnosing diabetes, the American Diabetes Association can be a great resource.
In addition to physical activity and a concentrated effort with diet, supplements make a great addition to the health routine of a diabetic or pre-diabetic. Nature’s Edge offers three, specially formulated options to support the body in regulation insulin:
- Antioxidant protection against free radicals that can damage cells, organs, and tissue
- Helps improve insulin sensitivity
- Promotes glucose metabolism, potentially lowering blood sugar levels
- Promotes cellular health and is well tolerated
- Studies show that alpha lipoic acid improves diabetic nerve damage symptoms
- Improves overall metabolic profile
- Has a beneficial effect on insulin resistance
- Helps promote healthy insulin production
- Replenishes magnesium that is depleted by diabetic medications
- Supports lowering blood pressure and assists in fighting inflammation
- Free radical protection; a powerful antioxidant
- Replenishes glutathione (the body's principal antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals and detoxifies harmful substances) which is often deficient with age and in chronic illness
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- Helps support cellular health and liver function
- Protects and supports a healthy respiratory and immune system
- Delays muscle fatigue and accelerates muscle growth
*A portion of all sales from the diabetes support line will be donated to the American Diabetes Association.